Tuesday, November 15, 2011

New Video: The Rural Alberta Advantage- "Tornado 87"



The RAA just released a new and extended video for the track, "Tornado 87" off their latest album, Departing. The song tells the story of a real tornado that hit singer Nils Edenloff's hometown of Edmonton back in July 1987 that took the lives of 27 people. The video was directed by Scott Cudmore. 
Here's what Nils had to say about the track ..."Being an Edmontonian, it's impossible to understate the impact that the Tornado of '87 had on the city of Edmonton. A Tornado isn't something that typically happens on the Canadian Prairies, so at the end of that July when Edmonton was struck with an F4 tornado that killed 27 people, it was something that left a permanent mark on the city. In fact, many Edmontonians still refer to July 31st as Black Friday. As an 8 year old at the time, I don't know if I was able to truly comprehend the full impact of the event when it happened and looking back on the writing of this song, I sometimes feel like I approached it from a hypothetical perspective. However, after performing this song in front of thousands people and meeting scores of people who were touched by the Tornado, or a similar event themselves, I feel like I have a more mature appreciation of this song. Whether that's a good thing or not I still can't say, but it was definitely an unanticipated side effect when I was first dreaming of the song."
 


http://www.theraa.com/

No comments: