Friday, December 16, 2011

EMA- Past Life Martyred Saints

One of the things I love about this time of year is reading up on all the year end 'Best of' lists. Inevitably I'll find some great new music that I missed along the way this year. One such artist I've been catching up on is EMA. Erika M. Anderson is a South Dakota native who used to front the group Gowns, which she founded with her then-boyfriend Ezra Buchla. After a split, she released her solo debut earlier this year called, Past Life Martyred Saints, which manages to mix parts, indie-rock, acoustic, synths, and fuzzed out grunge & noise. The LP can be heavy & dark at times but it balances it's little moments of hope. What I love so far about this disc is she has a big bold sound, it's in your face, and she seems to go for it on every track, truly a dynamic performer. Looking forward to hearing and learning more about EMA.


No comments: