Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Lord Huron- 'Lonesome Dreams'

Some of my all-time favorite albums over the years all seem to have a running theme to them, a cinematic quality,  a narrative, or a clear beginning a middle and an end. The debut LP, Lonesome Dreams from Lord Huron fits effortlessly in this category, and the amazing thing about it is that it is only their debut disc. The group are led by front man Ben Schneider who created this alternate universe where the songs & stories live. From the lyrics, to the press photo's & videos, Schneider has been meticulous in conveying an idea & sound that mesh together.
He said in an interview with the Boston Globe ... “I think the basis of it all is a folk and country core. That’s the stuff I grew up listening to, and it influenced me a lot,” ... “I approached them like they’re frontier songs telling these stories from the West,” he says. “That theme and aesthetic guided the record. I was really focused on storytelling, not just lyrically but also with the sonic choices. I tried to do stuff that was evocative of movie soundtracks and spaces and places. I was trying to create those environments and then tell a story with the lyrics.”
Give a listen to the lead track that sets the stage of this great Western, "Ends of the Earth Below."


http://www.lordhuron.com/

No comments: